Thursday, May 12, 2011

Chicago has only 3 seasons

Anyone not from Chicago may not know this, but Chicago definitely doesn't follow the normal 4 seasons a year rule.  Well, if you can call it a rule.  We have only 3 seasons here: Summer, Winter, and Construction.  Right now I can see my fellow Chicagoans nodding their heads.  We go from having freezing temps with constant snow day in an day out to warm weather that's so warm we're in shorts and tank tops in no time.  As for construction, well that's a season in and of itself.

Although we do have construction year round it seems like it takes place more often during the time that we're supposed to be having Spring and Autumn weather.  Hence, the reason "Construction" is its own season that replaces these two.  Every street you turn down there's construction.  2 lane streets become 1 lane, you drive over "patched" holes that make your car shake so bad that it feels like your driving off road, and traffic looks like a mall parking lot during the Christmas season.  This city is defintely hell when it comes to driving.  If I could, I would sell my car and walk everywhere; unfortunately, walking everywhere isn't doable over extremely long distances.  And don't talk to me about public transportation.  That's a can of worms you don't want to open up.

Back to the semi-normal seasons though.  This week has been an example of "Summer" weather.  It's been warm enough that I've been in flip flops, capris, and a light t-shirt the past couple days and still sweating.  The day before those days, I was wearing a tank top outside and was feeling pretty damn toasty.  Most of last week though, I had to wear long pants, fully covered up feet, a sweatshirt, and I was still pretty chilled.  Hell, I was able to see my breath at least one of those mornings on my way to work.  Gotta love the backwards weather of this city.

With that said, I will be moving out of this city at some point.  I'm all about the summer weather, but the winters here I could live without.  I wouldn't miss having a "White Christmas".  Not in the least bit.  As far as I'm concerned, snow is over-rated...except when you're a kid.  I loved the snow as a kid because snowball fights, making snow angels, and building igloo-like forts were awesome.  After I grew up though, snow was just an inconvenience to me.  You have to clean your car off everytime you want to drive it, you have to shovel and salt the walkways to avoid falling and breaking your neck, and driving in it is hellish too.  People literally drive like 15 mph to avoid slipping and sliding on the road, which is fine for safety, but it makes getting to and from your destination hair pulling.

Ugh!  Enough about snow though.  It's "Summer" here in Chicago and I'm doing my best to enjoy the days.  I'm wearing my fave shoes (flip flops) and I'm taking in the heat of the sun.  I love this weather and until that terrible snow comes back, I'm going to continue to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment