Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I'm not a TV person, but...

Some shows really know how to suck me in.  I have some shows I enjoy watching, but if I miss an episode here or there, it's not the end of the world.  I don't yell at the people around me to not tell me what happened or anything like that.  Back in the day I had shows that I watched religiously and should I have missed an episode, I would have bit your face off if you told me what happened, but not currently.  What I have been doing the past few months (maybe a little longer than that) was downloading shows online and watching the full series, or at least all the seasons up until the present one.  My boyfriend downloads these shows, we watch numerous episodes a night when we hangout and we get hooked on them.

The show that started this whole trend was Dexter.  I've written about my obsession with this show in a previous blog post, so go back and see how hooked I got.  Long story short though, this is offically my favorite show and this is one that missing an episode will make me go into insane mode.  The good news is that even though I don't have Showtime, there is this website that someone told me about where you can watch new shows within an hour of them airing.  If you want to check it out, it's Channel 131.  So, when the new season starts on October 2nd, you better believe I will be watching it that night, even though I don't have Showtime.

Anyways, I'm rambling on, where I was going with this is that after this obsession with Dexter, my boyfriend and I decided to start to search for new shows to get hooked on.  Some were okay, some sucked.  Then a co-worker of mine mentioned that since I love Michael C. Hall, the actor that portrays the character of Dexter, that I should check him out in an old HBO show he used to be on called Six Feet Under.  This show is more of a drama meets a dark comedy.  Michael C. Hall's character is NOTHING like his character on Dexter, which is why I had to check it out.  When an actor can pull of numerous different roles of such a variety, it makes me look up to them more.  It allows me to see how talented some actors are over others.  Take my word on it, Michael C. Hall is one of these awesome actors.  Exceptionally talented!

Anyways, I'm rambling again.  As I was saying though, my boyfriend downloads this show and again I'm hooked.  This is an awesome show (keep in mind it's twisted and revolves around death, which is right up my alley).  It was only on for 5 seasons and then the show ended, but I find it interesting and screwed up all in one.  The problem is that we're still currently watching this show and we're down to the last 3 episodes of the final season and I'm beyond hooked, yet I know that after these next 3 episodes there will be no more.  Unlike Dexter, I can't just countdown the days until the new season starts, since it's no longer on.  Although this is a bummer, I can get over it....I swear I can.  I may not get over the day that Dexter is no longer on, but we'll worry about that when that day comes.

Another show that I'm pretty damn hooked on is House.  Not only is this show funny, but it's a very intelligent show that never seems to get redundant.  The main character is amazing!  Hugh Laurie portrays the character of House better than I think anyone else would have ever been able to.  The show also has a great cast of characters that work well together.  These characters are so different from one another, but play so well as contrasting characters on the show.  It makes it more interesting when they interact in both professional and personal situations on the show.  Another great show that I'm counting down until the new season (October 3rd for those of you who are interested).

So, basically I have a few shows that I really love, but overall I try to avoid TV.  I find staring at a screen for long periods of time to be exceptionally boring, which is probably why I loathe watching movies like 90% of the time.  Most of my favorite shows are no longer on TV (with the exception of Dexter and House), but that's where the beauty of DVD seasons come into play.  I have full seasons, or most of the seasons, of some of my favorite shows of the past.  If I want to relive the awesomeness of those past shows I can watch them at my leisure.  This is more up my alley.  I hate having to dedicate a day and time to sitting in front of the TV, but I will make that exception for the two shows listed above.  Other than those couple shows and maybe an occasional other one here and there, TV is my last resort for amusement.  I'd rather use my time doing something more constructive, and let's face it, constructive is one word that you just can't use to describe watching TV...at least I can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment