Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Makeup...my new addiction.

No, I haven't already given up the whole photography thing.  I'm still bringing my camera with me to places I think will offer great photographic moments and I'm even going to start to having some photography outings with my photographer friend, Kriss.  We mentioned that going out and just choosing a location to just take random pictures would be fun, so we'll start doing that at some point after she gets back from vacation.  So, no, I haven't given up my new hobby of photography.  I just haven't found myself developing the eye yet to just go out on my own and find random things to snap pictures of.

I have gotten recently into trying to learn new makeup techniques though.  It all started with the fact that I felt bad that the maid of honor for the wedding I'm standing up in next month is going to be doing the bride & most of the bridesmaids makeup.  I felt that this was a lot for her to take on when she's already supposed to be catering to the needs of the bride on her special day.  With that in mind, I decided that I need to try to see if I'm capable of doing elegant meets dramatic makeup myself so that I will be one less person for the maid of honor to worry about on such an already hectic day.

I started by going to YouTube and searching eyeshadow techniques.  I used key words like "dramatic", "smokey", "elegant" and I ended up finding a lot of AWESOME eye makeup tutorials for just such makeup.  So, the past couple weeks I've been on this kick with checking out one tutorial after another and practicing these techniques on myself.  I must say, that I've been doing an awesome job!  I not only found the exact way I'm going to do my own makeup for my friend's wedding, but I also found other fun colorful ways of doing my eye makeup for just an everyday basis or for going out.

I'm really having a blast with this!  It's gotten to the point where I'm considering eventually going to cosmetology school and doing professional makeup as a side job.  Hell, maybe I won't even need to go to school for it if I practice enough and read up on some makeup technique books to where I can do it as second nature.  Granted I couldn't work in a salon without going to school for it, but if I did it as my own boss as a side job via the internet or word of mouth, it could be some extra cash in my pocket doing something I find fun.

Either way though, for now it's just something I'm having fun with and I'm finding myself literally sitting at home in the evenings when I have no other plans and I just keep doing my makeup, taking it off, doing another style, taking it off, and so forth.  I've taken some pictures of the final results, but unfortunately my phone camera sucks and most of it isn't clearly seen and when I've tried taking the pictures with my own camera, I can't find the right focus and distance when I'm not looking through the lens.  So, all my pictures of the bad ass looking makeup jobs are fail, but I promise the makeup has looked amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment